Whenever you brew a pot of coffee, you’re left with a filter’s worth of used coffee grounds that probably end up in the trash. However, you can re-purpose those leftover grounds and use them on your body. A coffee scrub provides several skin benefits, including improved skin smoothness and circulation with a temporary cellulite reduction — all at no cost to you, unless you’re not a coffee drinker (I don’t know why you aren’t)!
Coffee grounds are a mechanical exfoliate, meaning they can be used to scrub away dead skin to reveal the new, healthy skin underneath, whereas chemical exfoliates remove skin cells with enzymes or acidic properties. Exfoliating with coffee grounds improves circulation, leaving you with smooth, glowing skin.
I use the scrub in the shower, because it will be all over your floors if you choose to do otherwise. I take the scrub and apply it before I turn on the shower, just so that it won’t run off while I’m in the exfoliating process. It’s a messy process, but it is well worth it!
Caffeine and Your Skin…
While you won’t ingest nearly as much caffeine when your coffee is on your skin instead of in your cup, the caffeine from used coffee grounds can temporarily reduce the appearance of cellulite and give your skin a firmer appearance.
- 1 cup Coffee Grounds, make sure they are dry if using USED grounds
- 1 cup sugar (white, brown, turmindo….whatever your choice!)
- 1 cups oils ( I used a mix on olive, jojoba and vitamin E)
- Tea Tree oil ( you can use any essential oil you would like)
- Glass jar or Plastic container for storage
- spoon for mixing
- In your storage container mix your coffee ground and sugar, to even distribute it.
- Measure out the oils you’re using, mine are as follow: 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup of jojoba and 1/4 cup of vitamin E.
- Add the essential oil, about 20 drops. This is for added fragrance, unless you want to smell of coffee, I don’t mind it but some might!
And that’s it, you’ve made your own homemade coffee scrub! Play around with your favorite oils and you can even use different flavors of coffee, not just plain.
Waste Not, Want Not….
Mix the coffee grounds with a little olive oil before applying the mixture directly onto your skin. Your scrub is completely natural unlike many store-bought exfoliates. You also save money and resources by re-purposing your coffee grounds instead of throwing them out. Simply brew your coffee and let the granules sit out at room temperature for 24hrs or until they are completely dry, as to not get mold in your scrub.